Saturday, October 8, 2011

Forming New Patterns With Fantasy Elements

                                                       Read the story here!

        As lifelong learners we tend to rely on patterns to extend meaning and applications throughout all subject areas.   Patterns allow us to predict and connect with our prior knowledge of a given topic.  We become to rely on finding patterns in areas to gain understanding. 

         As an elementary teacher, I see on a daily basis the use of patterns to extend and apply students' thinking.   In math we often use patterns to gain understanding of a new area. For example, learning that multiplication is just like skip counting- counting by 3's, 4's, etc. on a number line.  We also find that mutiplication of 5's has the pattern of a 0 or 5 in the answer.  Students also find patterns in writing- such as that every sentence must include a noun and a verb.  We also use songs/ poetry in our classroom that rely on patterns for recognition.  The use of shapes and geometry relies on patterning and application.  Patterns form a foundation that allows us to build, apply, and extend our knowledge. 

        As I was reading,  "Sparks of Genius" by Robert and Michele Root-Bernstein, I found the chapters on patterning and forming new patterns very fascinating.  Finding patterns in the examples provided in the text allowed the opportunity to gain a wider perspective on patterning than I have previously noticed . 

       Finding patterns in my topic area of fantasy,  was something that I recognized instantly- the use of magical characters and objects, ability to fly, as well as good versus evil.   The pattern allows the use of magic to bring about special opportunities or solutions to stories.  However, once I had to reform the pattern, I had to take time to reflect exactly what that could look like.  How could I use those elements but apply them differently to change the pattern?   Robert and Michele Root-Bernstein state in the text, "Teasing apart one pattern and composing another requires real understand of the basic elements of phenomena and processes. More it opens up whole new worlds of knowledge".


       After reflection, I decided to look at the elements from a different perspective.  I therefore include the idea of the elements, without actually bringing about magic in the story.  It is about a young girl that wishes to participate in the ideas of fantasy, without any luck.  It contains the thought of magic ball, dragons, talking animals, and flying characters without any of it actually working for the character.

       I didn't realize how difficult it was to form a new pattern, until actually doing it myself. You must have understanding of the  initial pattern to look at it creatively from a different perspective.  I see how valuable the use of reforming a pattern can be as a creative work.  The more perspectives you gain on  patterning a particular topic,  the more you begin to possess a deeper understanding of the  material.  I will have to continue experimenting with reforming patterns in particular areas.  This opportunity of forming patterns will extend my potential towards creatively expanding my horizons on a particular topic.



No comments:

Post a Comment